Well, Crystal and I are parents. Were we ready? I think this is a question so many couples ask. I don't think you can ever be ready for everything that comes along with having a child. I think Crystal and I have adjusted quite well and Camden has definitely made the life change easy and totally fun. If you have been following our blog, you have read about all the things Camden does on a daily basis, but one thing Crystal has not blogged about is something I don't think either of us were ready for: the middle of the night panics.
I have never been a worrier, but something about having a child has caused me to become Mr. Panic at night. The first incident happened in the first month of Camden being born. I have no idea what caused me to do this, but I found myself (in the middle of the night) moving pillows, moving Crystal, and looking all around our bedroom. What was I looking for? Camden! Can you imagine what Crystal was thinking when I was trying to roll her over? Unfortunately, Mr. Panic did not just make one appearance. He has made many appearances and I have looked all around our room at night for our little guy on multiple occasions. Then, it got even weirder. I was in Amarillo, TX on business and caught myself crawling on the floor in my hotel room looking for Camden. The worst part about this was that when I finally realized what I was doing, I got totally embarrassed like there were people looking at me. Have you ever felt like that? What causes Mr. P? Maybe I could understand if we had him sleep with us in bed, but that has never been the case. Of all the child prep classes we took, not one warned us of Mr. Panic. I can't wait to tell these stories to Camden when he gets older.
So, were we ready? Not totally. But that has made the experience that much more exciting and that much more interesting. Crystal and I are having a blast being parents. From the little noises and smiles to the overflowing diapers and spit ups, it has never gotten old and I hope it never gets old (unless he is 12 and in diapers).
Happy Birthday, babe! I wish I could be there with you (for those reading this, I am doing my first blog entry from San Diego since I am out here for work). I hope you have a great day celebrating your first birthday with the little man. Love you.

2 comments:
Dear Mr. Panic,
Loved your blog post and your sincere honesty. I know you and CP are fabulous parents and worrying in the middle of the night where your son is only makes you that much more amazing. Better than forgetting him on top of the hood of your car and driving away or something.
Can't wait to see you on Saturday!
Note to self: Lock my bedroom door so that Mr. Panic doesn't come in and start rolling me over looking for his baby!
Happy Birthday CP, welcome to the 29 club!
Lots of Love and Kisses Bentleys!
nimmer
Jonathan,
I don't know you personally but I just had to chime in here. I did the EXACT same thing when my firstborn was very young. She never slept in our bed with us, either. I would wake up out of a dead sleep, and completely lose my mind looking for her under the covers. It was pure insanity. I have yet to do that with my second baby though, so maybe it's just first-time parenting jitters? Who knows. Interestingly enough, a few months back, I read an article on this phenomenon. It turns out, many many parents do the same thing! So we're not alone!!!
Crystal,
Happy, happy birthday! Or if you watch The Office, "It is your birthday."
Post a Comment