June 17, 2009
I can't believe this picture is almost 3 years old! Unfortunately, I haven't seen my Grandpa since it was taken. At the time, he was visiting my parents in WY, then the three of them made the trip down to CO so he could meet his second great-grandchild. I'm so glad they did.
Yesterday, I found out he has lung cancer. That's all I know. I don't know the type, the stage, his prognosis, just that he has it. My Grandpa and I were never extremely close, but I have some fond memories of him...
- Going to his house and raiding the "treat drawer"
- Telling him a joke (my Grandpa loves jokes and always has one to share) and forgetting the punch line. He knew what I was supposed to say and I said something totally different and he cracked up. His eyes disappeared (as you can see from this pic that's what happens when he smiles) and tears streamed down his face.
- My Grandma (an extremely talented seamstress) made me a clown costume one year. I had a pillow in the front and back. I sat on the floor, ended up rolling over, and couldn't sit up. Again, Grandpa's eyes were gone and tears flowed.
- Calling me "honey." Every time I call, he says, "Hi honey!"
- Stories...he likes to tell them and has a lot of them!
Praying for this sweet man. Praying for strength, for hope, and for peace as he begins the journey of a cancer patient. I love you, Grandpa!


2 comments:
I am so sorry to hear that :( He looks like such a sweet, happy man.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Such a hard thing to hear and to experience!! Thinking of you (and your fam).
xoxo
Post a Comment