Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ordinary Moments

There are ordinary moments all day every day.  It is so easy to go through the motions.  We get so busy with life, the grind, so to speak, and don't live it.  We forget.  We forget to remember.  We forget to stop.  We forget to be thankful. We forget to make those ordinary moments sink in.  I want to find joy in the small, simple things.

It was just a few days ago, Friday (the 20th) to be exact. The weather was my favorite...the sun was shining, but it was cool enough to be in light long sleeves.  The boys and I were walking to the park.  I was pushing Parker on his trike (the one with the long handle attached) and he was humming.  He likes how the bumpy road makes his voice "bumpy" so he hums.  His little curls were blowing in the breeze from me pushing him.  Man, I love those curls!  Half a step behind me were 3.5-year-old footsteps and the rhythm of bounce...pause...bounce as Camden practiced dribbling a basketball and walking at the same time.  He talked (during the whole walk) about how he's going to "be tall like Daddy soon" and how he's going to "try his very best to shoot the ball on the high hoops at the park."  We were borrowing a ball from the neighbors so his excited little voice said, "Someday, I can get a big basketball too, Mommy!"  In that ordinary moment I just wanted to freeze time.  So thankful to be a Mommy, so thankful for my sweet boys, so thankful they still need me, so thankful for the joy in little things.  I'm going to blink and they will be walking to the park on their own dribbling basketballs between their legs or riding their own bikes (without humming).  I'm just an ordinary mama trying to savor the ordinary moments!  

No comments: